FAQ Financing your studies

Last update: February 2023

On this site, you will find important information and recommended links regarding your finances.

The one-off payment is applied for at www.einmalzahlung200.de . All students who were enrolled at a state higher education institution or one recognised as equivalent on 1.12.2022 and who are resident in Germany are eligible to apply. Previous receipt of the flat-rate energy allowance of 300 euros for employed persons and/or the heating cost allowance do not prevent entitlement. International students can also receive the assistance.

If you have any questions about the Federal Student's Assistance Act (BAföG), you can contact the BAföG-Amt.

For all other financing options, you can consult the Social & Financial Advisory Offices. 

Students who can still receive BAföG and whose income and/or that of their parents has decreased should have their BAföG entitlement (re)examined.

Students who are basically not or no longer entitled to BAföG can receive “Wohngeld”. It is a rent allowance. You should check this if you are entitled to this.

Basic security benefits (Hartz IV) for students are regulated by § 27 SGB II. Depending on the type of benefit, they can be granted as a grant or as a loan, provided that the respective relevant requirements are met. The Job Centre at the place of residence is responsible.

You have to submit an application to the relevant social security institution. This is free of charge and should be made in writing. You are entitled to a written decision.

This is always an individual case decision, based on the legal basis. Therefore it is important to make an application in case of doubt.

That depends on the residence permit. For international students with a residence permit "for study purposes", even the application for Hartz IV or Wohngeld may have a negative effect on the residence permit.

We recommend to ask at the social and financial advisory service at the Studierendenwerk or the International Office at your university before you submit an application, if you are not sure about the consequences an application may have on your residence permit.

There is the possibility of an inexpensive loan. The conditions and information on how to apply can be found here ->

The Studentenwerk is a distribution partner for the KFW study loan. ->  

For acute emergencies, there is the possibility of a short-term loan from our emergency aid fund in the amount of EUR 350 one time payment. Please contact the Social & Financial Advising Service, finanzierung(at)swffm.de

We recommend to also contact the counselling services and international offices at your university as well as the AstA and university parish to check for help. It may also be worthwhile to look for smaller, local, regional or special-purpose foundations that support young people in training that got into financial distress. Additional financial aid is available to students in certain circumstances, such as being a parent, health troubles or challenges due to current events such as the energy crisis or the war in Ukraine. 


Please inform your landlord, your health insurance company or any other agency with whom you have contracts and ask for a temporary deferral. The social and financial advising service will help you to find a solution. In addition, if you have any legal problems, feel free to use our free legal advice which we offer every Tuesday.

Link recommendations sorted by topics